Here’s what you need to know this morning of Wednesday, January 6, 2016.
Police arrest woman accused of stealing baby from VSMMC; suspect denies abduction, says she gave birth to newborn
THE woman accused of abducting a newborn baby from Vicente Sotto Memorial Hospital has been found, thanks to a Facebook post by photojournalist Alan Tangcawan.
The neighbor of the suspect, identified as Melissa Alilin Londres, 26, saw the post and informed Tangcawan that they saw Londres with the baby last Monday. However, they were puzzled since they thought Londres had miscarried.
CIDG 7 tracked down Almeria’s residence and arrested her and live-in partner Philip Winfred Almeria in Sitio Fatima, Lahug. Londres denied the accusation and said she gave birth in a taxi last Monday. Almeria, however, denied that Londres gave birth.
Jonathan Celadenia identified the baby as his newborn Prince Niño. He also identified Londres as the woman wearing white scrubs who took the baby from them in Vincente Sotto Memorial Medical Center last Monday.
- Sun.Star Cebu: Woman arrested for stealing baby from Cebu hospital
- The Freeman: Cops nab “nurse”
- Cebu Daily News: Stolen Baby Found
- Cebu Daily News: Hospital needs to upgrade security
- Cebu Daily News: She was scouting for baby boy
- Sun.Star Cebu: Parents named boy Nino to keep him safe
Keep Sinulog decent, organizers ask revelers
Sinulog Foundation Inc. executive director Ricky Ballesteros said they will set up five Kaohsiung buses as temporary holding cells along the Sinulog route to detain unruly and drunk revelers who misbehave during the grand parade on Jan. 17. SFI, which turned down five applications for street parties, stood pat on their decision not to allow any party that may disrupt the parade.
“So many people got drunk last year. This time, let’s make Sinulog, fun enjoyable and wholesome. Let’s all cooperate,” Ballesteros said. “Those who insist na maghubog-hubog and magpabadlong gyud sa parade route, we will have a temporary detention cell and they can be detained for causing trouble.”
- Sun.Star Cebu: Politicking ‘has no place; in Fiesta Senor
- The Freeman: Fewer Sinulog contingents seen
- Cebu Daily News: Translacion to take longer route in Banilad
Police finalizes security plans for International Eucharistic Congress
Police Regional Office 7 directorial staff chief Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas says they are polishing their security plans for the International Eucharistic Celebration. The police is monitoring criminal groups that might operate during the IEC and Sinulog and is also preparing plans to avoid stampedes and sabotage of electricity.
- Sun.Star Cebu: IEC security
- The Freeman: Strict security for IEC
- Cebu Daily News: Truck ban for roads near IEC
Other Cebu headlines
» Sun.Star Cebu: Cebu-Cordova bridge to be built next year and completed in 2020
» Sun.Star Cebu: New Mactan airport terminal to rise in 2018
» The Freeman: With 2.7 million voters, Cebu still top vote-rich province
» Cebu Daily News: Police tracing cellphone owner who sent threats to barangay captains
Cebu Business News
» Sun.Star Cebu: Embrace ASEAN Economic Community, local businesses told
“You don’t have to be big to conquer the world.”
Economist Perry Fajardo
» Sun.Star Cebu: DTI Cebu receives complaint against Mitsubishi Montero
» Sun.Star Cebu: Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry welcomes passage of bill creating ICT department
“It’s a good move moving forward, especially for Cebu, whose economic pillars include the ICT-BPO. It will further help sustain the growth of Cebu’s ICT industry.”
» The Freeman: Inflation rate up 1.5 percent in December
» The Freeman: Trade officials hope for export recovery
» Cebu Daily News: Direct links to Los Angeles, Dubai begin March
» Cebu Daily News: Airport Operator gains full access to terminal site