Here’s what you need to know this Tuesday morning, January 5, 2016:
Woman poses as nurse, abducts baby in Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center
A woman posing as a member of the staff of the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center snatched two-day old Prince Nino Celadenia yesterday. Wearing hospital scrubs but with no identification, the woman was seen thrice in the hospital’s CCTV before leaving the hospital at 12:07 p.m.
Jonathan Celadenia, the 27-year-old father, said the suspect asked them whether their child had his anti-dengue shot already. The mother, Jayve, accompanied the woman to the laboratory area but stayed outside the door and two minutes later, the suspect was seen in another area of the hospital, alone with the baby.
The police are not sure of the motive in the abduction and doubts a syndicate is behind its as it is the first of its kind.
Infant abducted inside gov’t hospital A two-day-old baby boy was abducted by a woman posing as a nurse inside state-owned Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu, Monday, Jan. 4. This is the CCTV footage of the suspect leaving the hospital with the baby. [Video|VSMMC] Cebu Kapatid
Posted by Ryan Christopher Sorote on Monday, January 4, 2016
- Sun.Star Cebu: Baby stolen in Cebu hospital
- The Freeman: Child Snatched at VSMMC
- Cebu Daily News: Baby thief
Cebu City to use re-enacted budget for 2016
Due to an impasse in the passing of the 2016 budget, Acting Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella said they will operate with the 2015 budget as their guide so they can continue with daily operations.
In a 9-3 vote, the council approved the P6.7 billion budget for 2016, considerably lower than the P13.4 approved for last year. However, Labella said with 18 members of the Council, 10 votes are needed to approve the budget.
Tension breaks out between UP, fire victims
Three dozen policemen had to be deployed to help diffuse tension between the University of the Philippines and the 530 fire victims of Sitio Avoacado, Lahug. UP Cebu dean Liza Corro asked for police assistance after the school tents were removed by Cebu City personnel last Sunday. The school is also planning to block the plan of the City to reblock the site.
Sun.Star Cebu: Tension aborts meeting about fire site, settlers
Cebu Daily News: Who will spend for relocation site: UP Cebu or City Hall
Other Cebu headlines
» Cebu Daily News: Judge urges Cebu City to act on pedestrian safety near Qimonda IT Park where the courts are located
Cebu Business stories
“The tourism core group of CCI will be introducing guidelines on the usage of brand. It will also encourage all stakeholders to use the brand.”
CCCI president Ma. Teresa Chan
“All export sectors, except electronics, are feeling the softening of the global market and while we wait for the global market recovery…we turn to our strong domestic market to cope with losses.”
Central Seafoods Inc. owner Nelson Bascones