This is the roundup of stories that came out in local publications today, August 18, 2016.
Tomas denies cutting support to PNP, wants authority back
CEBU City mayor Tomas Osmena denied pulling out support from the police and said he will ask the National Police Commission to reconsider its withdrawal of his operational command and control over the local police. Osmena, who withdrew his support to the PNP after he felt slighted that he wasn’t consulted in the replacement of the city and regional PNP head, also denied withdrawing his support to the PNP. He said he hasn’t withdrawn any support because he hasn’t given any. The mayor also said his order recalling the vehicles assigned to the police was “misinterpreted” and that he did not plan to recall the vehicles.
You have to analyze precisely what is ibalik. So, sa ato pa, I pulled it out? I did not pull out anything. What did I pull out? Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmena.
Read: Sun.Star Cebu: Tomas denies withdrawing support to PNP, wants police powers back.
Cebu Daily News: Napolcom to Tomas; Only Duterte can restore police powers
Related: Cebu Daily News: Cebu City Police Office returns vehicles to City Hall, which denies issuing recall order
FROM THE ARCHIVES: Cebu Daily News story July 28–Tomas to recall police vehicles.
Sun.Star Cebu July 22 story: Tomas recalls police’s guns
Central Visayas reports 151 percent increase in dengue cases
Dengue cases in Central Visayas reached 9,372 in the first eight months of this year, a steep increase from the 5,632 cases last year. The number of fatalities also increased to 81 from 19 last year. Cebu City reported the highest number with 1,331 cases resulting to seven deaths, while Mandaue City is second with 415 cases and nine deaths.
Manglimpyo gyud ilabi na og mouwan ug moinit. Mao gyud na ang ganahan sa mga lamok. Dr. Nino Ismale Pastor, Cebu Province Health Office head.
Read: Sun.Star Cebu: Central Visayas dengue cases spike to 9,372 from 5,632
City Hall cuts stipend for jail officials
Mayor Tomas Osmena has ordered City Hall to cut the incentive allowance given to BJMP officials after a raid last week discovered drugs, cash and other contraband in the city jail. Under the 2016 budget, 200 officers assigned to the BJMP receive P4,000 monthly from city hall, a total of P9.6 million per year.
I’m going to cancel the allowances of the BJMP as soon as possible. What we are providing to BJMP is an incentive allowance..that’s the money of the people of Cebu City and it’s not serving its purpose, considering what transpired. Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmena.
Read: Sun.Star Cebu: Tomas cancels jail officers’ allowance, says personnel can’t pretend not to know of illegal trade
Related News: Cebu Daily News: Former capitol jail consultant admits CPDRC charges P30/hr for conjugal room, defends move as ‘legal’
Sun.Star Cebu: New city jail warden appeals for help as 100 inmates fall ill to tuberculosis.
Other Cebu News.
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: Father and son tandem nabbed in drug raid by PDEA 7, local police in Naga
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: No surprises, drug pusher killed in shootout with cops
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: PRO 7 forms task force to probe death of cop who linked ex-generals in drug trade
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: Osmena revives Task Force Alpha to help solve traffic problem in city
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: Quisumbing turns over brand new patrol vehicles to Mandaue City police
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: Losing bidder sues Davide, Capitol after getting denied to join bidding for medical supplies
➤ The Freeman: Capitol wants V-Hire to gain access to South Bus terminal
➤ The Freeman: Lapu-Lapu City appeals for non-food donations for fire victims
➤ The Freeman: Dole 7 head wants all contractual employees to be regular employees by 2017
➤ The Freeman: Expert warns corporal punishment can cause trauma on kids
➤ Cebu Daily News: Radaza wants ban on refilled butane canisters imposed
➤ Cebu Daily News: Cordova vice mayor resigns post after getting Malacanang appointment
➤ Cebu Daily News: Mandaue City Hall receives reports carton girls back at reclamationa area
➤ Cebu Daily News: DepEd to issue memo regarding ban of Pokemon Go in public schools
Cebu Business News
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: Former BPO employee now operates own BPO company
➤ Sun.Star Cebu: Business leaders support move to end contractualization
➤ The Freeman: European chamber wants restrictions on foreign investors eased to foster competition
➤ The Freeman: Employers urged to treat workers as trade partners, give them security of tenure
➤ Cebu Daily News: Company targets millennials for ‘cleanergy’ products