With Mayor Rodrigo Duterte’s representative and Sen. Antonio Trillanes’ face-off over the alleged billion-peso bank transactions of the Davao City mayor just hours away, a group of supporters of the fiesty mayor say Digong’s critics are getting desperate and is calling for fellow Duterte-believers to back the mayor.
The opponents are becoming more and more miserably desperate. As supporters of Duterte, we must not stand idly while pitbulls and attack dogs (of rivals) attempt to thwart a Duterte victory, which is, in essence a victory of the nation. Erico Bucoy, Duterte’s Visayas campaign manager.
MCWD has started rationing water in certain ares in Metro Cebu as its water supply deficit has increased to 30,000 cubic meters, from a deficit of 20,000 cubic meters last month. MCWD has also declined applications for new connections in 46 areas that have been experience low to no water pressure.
In one day, the affected areas might just have one or two hours of water supply. MCWD public affairs head Charmaine Rodriguez Kara.
Labor groups in Cebu celebrated the International Labor Day with a march and a call for the end of contractualization. Aside from calling for a minimum wage of P750 nationwide, they also lashed at the Aquino administration’s inaction against contractualization.
We are disappointed with the Aquino administration because these problems have not been addressed under his term. Nino Olayvar, Anakbayan Cebu vice president.
This is the roundup of stories that came out in local publications today, April 21, 2016.
DU30, One Cebu seal political alliance
DAVAO City mayor Rodrigo Duterte dropped by Cebu City to join his allies of One Cebu in the formal launch of their alliance. Duterte arrived in Cebu City at 12:03 a.m. from a sortie in Aklan together with vice presidential bet Alan Peter Cayetano.
The alliance of the two parties will further strengthen Mayor Duterte’s candidacy in Cebu and at the same time, allow us to carry One Cebu’s candidates in areas where we have also fielded candidates. Sen. Aquilino Pimentel III in a statement.
Former election officer ‘caught’ getting personal papers in Toledo office at night
Michael Angelo Sarno, the former Toledo City election officer, was “caught” bringing out documents from the Toledo City Comelec office at dawn Tuesday and is now in the middle of a political storm in Toledo City. Sarno was brought to the local police office and had his car searched in the presence of supporters of rivals Mayor John Osmena and Aurelio Espinosa. He was released only after Toledo Election Officer Gallardo Escobar came to his rescue.
Comelec Central Visayas Nick Mendros was angered by the incident, saying Sarno, who has been temporary assigned to Cebu City, asked his permission to go to his office and retrieve his personal files.
What’s the fuss all about? Its still the office of the Comelec even if it is a property of the Toledo City government. The reshuffling is a temporary assignment and it is still his office. What are they scared of? Comelec Director for Central Visayas Jose Nick Mendros.
A HUGE banner touting it as a corruption-free institution was mounted at the facade of the Capitol yesterday. Gov. Hilario Davide III said the banner conveys the message his administration is espousing—good and honest governance.
Capitol has faced accusations from rivals recently for improper use of funds; Former governor Gwen Garcia hit the P40 million beautification program, while last year, Capitol faced accusations of irregularity in the bidding of heavy equipment worth P250 million.
The message ‘Corruption-free institution’ isn’t only a mere slogan but a deafening call by the Cebuanos for what we have started. Gov. Hilario Davide III.
Acting Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella says they will implement changes for this year’s Sinulog celebration to make it safer. The City will also form a Task Force Carousel to make sure the changes are implemented.
Among the changes this year are:
No more tents and bleachers along carousel route.
No more performances in “sexy outfits” on board the floats.
No more throwing of any merchandise or goodies from the floats.
Monitoring by DOH of food sold in stalls.
“Along the carousel route, only bleachers for the judges will be allowed. However, these can be set up on the other side of the road, or the portion that is not used by the dancers.”
Acting Mayor Edgar Labella
Mandaue City Officials say traffic will be heavier than usual for the Traslacion–the traditional meeting of the images of the Holy Family–because of the new route. The traslacion usually took the Mabolo-Subangdaku route to Mandaue City but will now pass through the heavily congested AS Fortuna St. on Jan. 15.
“We were caught off guard (by the change.) But we can’t do anything but adjust.”
Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes
Presidential candidate and tough-talking Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte dropped by Cebu City yesterday, to meet with local supporters.
Duterte, whose visit coincided with the Sinulog, admitted he isn’t a religious person and doesn’t go to mass. He visited the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino later in the afternoon.
“Listen to my cuss words. I even invite you to look at me and relate those words to my character. Behind those words is the real agony and tragedy of the Filipino people.”
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte
“Equipping the community with the right tourism skill and culture will surely boost tourism in Pilar, Camotes, especially among individual travelers or backpackers. Like Boracay Island, which was a backpackers’ paradise in the past.”
Balik Cebu Committee chairperson Tetta Baad
Drivers passing the South Road Properties should slow down to 40 kilometers per hour or else they will get arrested, Cebu City officials warned yesterday. Traffic enforcers have started distributing flyers to inform people about the new speed limit, in preparation for the time when they will start arresting violators.
Meanwhile, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the government should suspend peace talks with Muslim rebels and form an independent organization to look into Sunday’s massacre of police commandos in Maguindanao.
Are you thinking of buying a house or investing in one?
Primary Homes, which is a sponsor of this daily news digest, prides itself to be your reliable partner in building your dream house. It is the developer of Alegria Palms, a middle-market subdivision in Mactan Island with 400 vacation housing units all with a modern Italian-inspired design.
Here are the top Cebu news stories for today, January 30, 2015:
City to start arresting drivers going beyond 40 kph at the SRP
The Cebu City Government has warned drivers that they will soon start arresting those who go beyond the new speed limit at the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR) in the South Road Properties (SRP). From the previous speed limit of 60 kilometers per hour (kph), Mayor Michael Rama has ordered it lowered to between 30 kph and 40 kph.
Rama issued the order as part of his demand for safety measures in the area to address a spate of vehicular accidents.
Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) division chief Joy Tumulak said his office and the Land Transportation Office (LTO) 7 have started distributing flyers to inform the public of the new speed limit.
He said they are conducting an information drive to make the new policy known among motorists and so that no one can say they did not know about it when they start arresting people. Tumulak said they will not be announcing when they will start arresting drivers.
“Citom will exert all effort to let the public know. We only gave flyers to those we thought were driving too fast in the SRP. Maybe they weren’t aware of the new speed limit since maybe they haven’t read or heard about it in the news.” — Citom division chief Joy Tumulak as quoted in Sun.Star Cebu
The restriction is based on a 1973 ordinance – City Ordinance 801 or the Cebu City Traffic Code – which states that passenger cars and motorcycles are only allowed a maximum speed of 40 kph when passing national roads and local roads. Under the ordinance, violators will will be fined P500 to P1,000.
What MILF did is unforgiveable, says top Cebu City police officer
The desecration of bodies of members of the Special Action Force (SAF) killed in a battle in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last Sunday is unforgiveable, according to Senior Supt. Conrado Capa, deputy regional director for operations of PRO 7 and acting director of Cebu City Police Office (CCPO).
“We should not forgive them for that. Ang gumagawa lang niyan ay ISIS,” said Capa, who became emotional during yesterday’s press briefing and cried over what is described to be the bloodiest police operation in recent history, with 44 elite police commandos killed.
“I can forgive them because the police and military die in a battle. What I can’t forgive, is, you desecrated the dead. That’s unacceptable. There’s no need to mutilate the dead. You don’t have to cut the heads, take out the eyes and cut the arms. They’re already dead. Just give us the dignity of death.” — Senior Supt. Conrado Capa, who, as a young junior officer of the Philippine Constabulary, signed up for more training with the SAF
Duterte: Suspend peace talks with MILF; form independent body to look into massacre
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte yesterday said the Philippine Government should suspend peace talks with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and form an independent body to investigate Sunday’s killing of police commandos.
Duterte was in Cebu yesterday to promote federalism. He said in a press conference at the University of Cebu that before talks with Muslim rebels resume, authorities must be able to determine who were responsible for the killing of the policemen.
“Justice must be served to the victims. This (massacre) is not a joke for both Muslims and Christians that 44 policemen lost their lives.” — Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte
Duterte: Not a candidate, just promoting federalism
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said he is going around the country not because he wants to run for president in 2016 but to promote federalism.
Duterte said bulk of the country’s resources goes to Manila and only a little is allotted to Visayas and Mindanao. With federalism, he said, there will be equal distribution of the nation’s wealth
“I am not a candidate for President. I am only visiting several places in the country like Cebu because I am promoting the Federal System of Government, especially that the present government is highly-centralized.” — Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, when asked about his plans for 2016
When asked if he will run for president if some businessmen like Augusto Go will bankroll his candidacy, Sun.Star Cebu quoted Duterte as saying he will think about it.
“Manila has been lording it over for centuries now.” — Mayor Duterte, as quoted by Cebu Daily News.