Categories
News

‘Very hot days’ ahead: PAG-ASA warns; Cebu City wants closer traffic coordination with Mandaue: Cebu News Digest: July 20, 2015

It will be “very hot: in the days ahead, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAG-ASA) warned the public.

PAG-ASA Visayas Director Oscar Tabada told Sun.Star Cebu the rains toward the end of the month and in August and September will be shorter. He said people should learn lessons from the latest El Niño episode last March to May when temperatures rose and water became scarce.

“The people must optimize daily consumption to save water. If there are still rains in the next few weeks, please find ways to store rainwater. Take precautionary measures to minimize the effect of heat stress due to increasing temperature.” — PAG-ASA Mactan chief Al Quiblat, according to Sun.Star Cebu

Recent heavy downpours have restored the water level in Jaclupan, Talisay City and Buhisan Dam in Cebu City, said Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) General Manager Ernie Delco. When El Niño was at its peak in May, the Jaclupan well, which averages a daily water production of 33,000 cubic meters, only had 10,000 cubic meters a day.

READ MORE

Hot days ahead
EXPECT HOTTER DAYS AHEAD, that is the advice of the weather bureau to the public.

Cebu City wants traffic agreement with Mandaue City

With traffic congestion being the biggest problem among residents of Metro Cebu, the Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (CITOM) is seeking closer coordination with the Traffic Enforcement Agency of Mandaue (TEAM) . The CITOM board wants a “joint traffic cooperation agreement” between the cities of Cebu and Mandaue.

“This is for us to avoid the same problems before like in S. Osmeña rerouting. This is also because of the several ongoing projects in both cities because what happens in Mandaue will affect Cebu City.” — CITOM executive director Rafael Yap, according to Cebu Daily News

The CITOM authorized Yap to start talks with Mandaue on the traffic agreement.

Yap said the move is an offshoot of a bill proposed by Cebu 6th District Representative Luigi Quisumbing for the setting up of a Metro Cebu Traffic Management Authority.

READ MORE

Investigation on Cebu City officials for P20,000 cash aid starts today

Unless the Office of the President orders them otherwise, the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Central Visayas will start investigating today the complaint filed against Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama and members of the Cebu City Council over the release of P20,000 as calamity aid.

Rama and other Cebu City officials had asked the Office of the President and the central office of the DILG to move the inquiry to this September because of “serious doubts on the accuracy and/or completeness of the issues and exhibits.”

The inquiry, according to Cebu Daily News, is set to start this afternoon and end on Thursday.
Cebu City released P20,000 as acrosss-the-board calamity assistance to its employees and officials in 2013 after the devastation wrought in the region by the October 15 earthquake and SuperTyphoon Yolanda in that year. Lawyer Reymelio Delute, who filed the administrative case last year for grave abuse of authority and grave misconduct against Rama and the city officials, said they misrepresented themselves as calamity victims in order to receive the money.

READ MORE

Cebu Daily News: PROBE ON P20K CASH AID STARTS

Don’t buy street food, DEPED tells students

Buy only from school canteens and never from street vendors you do not know, that was the advice of the Department of Education (DEPED) Central Visayas to school children.

DEPED 7 Director Dr. Juliet Jeruta said parents should be told during meetings pf the Parents-Teachers Association (PTA) to make sure their children buy only from the school’s canteen.

“Their children should be instructed not to buy food from the streets. They should not buy from vendors they don’t know and if they don’t know who prepared the food.” — DEPED 7 Director Dr. Juliet Jeruta, according to Cebu Daily News

Jeruta issued the advisory after 1,400 people, mostly students, fell ill in northeastern Mindanao due to food poisoning.

She told administrators to only allow vendors with sanitary permits from the Department of Health to sell within the school’s vicinity.

READ MORE

Other Cebu News Headlines

» Councilor proposes organizing group to focus on fixing dangling wires, removing defective utility poles

» Truck company responsible for injuries, damage after boom truck snagged wires, toppled pole in Lahug

» Cebu Capitol to boost mid-western Cebu tourism

“This is to promote responsible tourism, to conserve natural sites and to promote well-being of the host communities.” — Joselito Costas, Capitol consultant on ecotourism projects

» Capitol makes 5 hospital chiefs, 19 doctors regular employees

» Tedious process slows down Yolanda rehabilitation projects, says DSWD

» Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines tells laity to take part in 2016 elections

» Disaster-proof telecoms technology to be set up in Central Visayas

» Cebu City police station chiefs told to step up drive against illegal drugs or face relief

» Suspected drug dealer nabbed, P80,000 in drugs seized in Mandaue raid

Cebu Business Headlines

» Grand Land partners with Dusit International for 295-room Dusit Princess in Grand Tower

» SM looking into expanding mall, building BPO offices in North Reclamation Area property

Categories
News

Cebu records hottest day in 2015; it will get even hotter: weather specialist warns

Cebu recorded today, May 21, its highest temperature for the year, with the weather station in Mactan logging 35.3 degrees Celsius at 2:30 p.m. That reading is the highest in the province in 2015, engineer Al Quiblat of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration Mactan Island station told MyCebu.ph.

In the days ahead, temperatures will go even higher because of the prevailing weak El Niño, Quiblat warned.

Today’s 35.3 degrees Celsius reading translated into a feverish heat index – what people actually feel – which was at 42 degrees Celsius in their location, Quiblat said. The heat index takes into account air temperature and relative humidity – to arrive at a measure that is closer to what people actually feel as the temperature. A person is considered to have “significant fever” with a temperature reading of 38 degrees Celsius.

Hottest day in Cebu
SCORCHING. Cebu recorded 35.3 degress Celsius today, the hottest since the start of the year, according to PAG-ASA Mactan.

In areas of the city with a dense concentration of buildings, it would be even hotter because of the heat island effect, Quiblat said. It typically adds 2 degrees to the temperature.

Highest in Cebu on record

The prevailing temperatures are higher than that of a typical summer without an El Niño, which ranges from 26 degrees Celsius to a high of 33 degrees Celsius.

The weather specialist warned temperatures could rise even higher because of the weak El Niño. The highest recorded in Cebu was 37 degrees on May 31, 1981, when El Niño was also in effect.

Quiblat said that based on the projections released by Pag-asa last May 6, 2015, there is a chance that the El Niño would be in effect and even strengthen into a “moderate” one later in the year.

He said that although it is hard to project, there is a possibility Cebu will again hit the 37 degrees Celsius reading later in the year.

Categories
News

Cebu News Digest: April 2, 2015: Typhoon Chedeng to hit PH on Black Saturday, public told to be alert; P3M worth of ukay-ukay seized in Mandaue

Typhoon Chedeng is expected to make landfall in Central and Southern Luzon on Black Saturday. Cebu may experience a rainy weekend.

National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 agents seized yesterday P3 million worth of used clothing or ukay-ukay in Barangay Looc, Mandaue City.

Are you planning to buy a condo unit or thinking of investing in one?

Check out Eagles’ Nest by Primary Homes — a great option especially for students of Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu. The school has endorsed it as alternative living arrangement for its students. (Read more about the project here.)

Pag-asa chedeng advisory
Pag-asa 4 a.m. weather advisory estimates eye of Typhoon “‪#‎ChedengPH‬” at 980 kilometers east of Borongan, Eastern Samar.

Here are the top stories for today, April 2, 2015:

‘Ready’ for rainy weekend

Even if the province is not directly in the typhoon’s path, the local government units (LGUs) of Cebu Province, Cebu City and Mandaue City, and the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) 7 assured the public that Cebu is ready for bad weather.

Chedeng may rain in Cebu and parts of Central Visayas before it makes landfall in Luzon on Black Saturday, according to Oscar Tabada of Pagasa (Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration) Mactan.

As of yesterday morning, the typhoon is moving to the Philippines with sustained winds of 190 kilometers per hour (kph) and gustiness of 225 kph. It is about 30 kph short of a super typhoon.

Here are some preparations:

The OCD directed LGUS to identify evacuation centers in their towns and cities.
It convened the Pre-disaster Risk Assessment core group (composed of the OCD, Philippine National Police, Pagasa, Department of Social Welfare and Development, Philippine Information Agency and National Economic and Development Authority) yesterday to discuss measures being implemented.
LGUs under Cebu Province have become more vigilant and activated their disaster offices.

PDRRMO started preparing food in case the typhoon hits any part of Cebu and started distributing last night the remaining satellite phones to mayors.

Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III met with department heads yesterday and asked them to get ready for the typhoon.

The Mandaue City Government will have rescue vehicles and heavy equipment on standby starting this afternoon.

In Lapu-Lapu City, all disaster responders and vehicles are ready, as well as relief goods.

The Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CCDRRMC) placed Cebu City under “alert level alpha” since yesterday for typhoon Chedeng.

The public is urged to help by monitoring the movement of Chedeng.

Another ‘ukay’ raid in Mandaue

Two weeks after NBI 7 raided an ukay-ukay warehouse in Barangay Paknaan, Mandaue City, the same agency seized worth about P3 million from a Korean-owned warehouse in Barangay Looc, also in Mandaue City yesterday afternoon.

The agency caught three Filipino workers unloading the clothes, stuffed inside yellow sacks, from a 40-foot cargo container past 3 p.m. The used clothes were shipped from Cagayan de Oro where the clothes arrived from South Korea.

Importing used clothes is illegal under Republic Act 4653, which was enacted to protect the people against the risks of wearing used clothes from outside the country.

Based on a business permit issued by the Mandaue City Government, Kim Sang Yeon, 45, owns the San Woo Ri Phil Inc. that which owns the warehouse.

The NBI 7 will investigate the involvement of Kim who said that his Korean friend owns the company that is registered with the Department of Trade and Industry as a seller of dry goods.

Other top Cebu News stories:

Sun.Star Cebu: City to bid out new CCMC anew
Cebu Daily News: Softer rules, P600M budget set for rebidding of CCMC
The Freeman: Police ask public to help catch CV’s most wanted

Cebu Business headlines

:

Sun.Star Cebu: Poll: Consumer sentiment in 1st quarter positive
Sun.Star Cebu: Register with HLURB, real estate workers reminded
The Freeman: Survey: Female car buyers on the rise
The Freeman: Consumers cautioned on various sale tactics

Categories
News

Cebu News Digest: March 25, 2015: Suspected drug lord caught in Inayawan; LTO-7 to strictly implement ‘no registration, no travel’ policy on cars

Police caught a suspected drug lord, an elusive target, in Barangay Inayawan, Cebu City on Tuesday.

Starting Wednesday next week, the Land Transportation Office (LTO)-7 will start strictly implementing its “no registration, no travel” policy.

“Don’t stay under the sun for more than 20 minutes.” This was the warning issued by the PAGASA Mactan Chief Meteorologist Al Quiblat, which is the same health advisory released by the Department of Health.

Here are the top stories for today, March 25, 2015:

‘Drug lord’ with ‘new look’ nabbed

Darwin Tibay, 48, was arrested inside his house during a buy-bust operation at 12 p.m.

Distributing one kilo of shabu a week, he is considered as one of the five alleged drug lords in Cebu City.

Confiscated from Tibay in yesterday’s operation were 91 small packs and two medium packs of what appeared to be shabu, estimated to be worth P120,000 in the streets.

Tibay said he was once a drug lord but claimed he has left the trade.

What the police found interesting was Tibay’s new look. He now has straight hair, slender figure and an improved nose, making him younger compared to the photo the police has been keeping with them.

LTO to drivers: No car registration, no travel

LTO-7 Director Arnel Tancinco said that LTO Assistant Secretary Alfonso Tan, Jr. issued Memorandum Circular No. AVT-2015-1927 dated March 20, 2015 for the implementation of the “no registration, no travel” policy starting April 1.

LTO 7
Starting April 1, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Central Visayas will strictly implement the “no registration, no travel” policy. (Creative Commons photo by dbgg1979.)

Here are the provisions of the memorandum:

• No four-wheeled vehicles can be used, driven, or operated on the roads without being duly registered with the Land Transportation Office pursuant to Republic A0ct 4136 (Joint Administrative Order No. 2014-01 and other applicable rules and regulations).
• Any vehicle without license plates shall be stopped and the driver must present the Certificate of Registration and Official Receipt of the vehicle.
• If only the CR/OR are presented, a fine of P5,000 shall be imposed for failure to attach the plates.
• In case of special plates, the driver must present the OR for the payment.
• If without CR/OR, the driver must present the certificate of stock reported and sales invoice which must be dated within seven days on or after the date of the sales invoice and certificate of insurance cover, which must be dated on or after the date of the sales invoice.
• If at the time of apprehension the date of the sales invoice exceeds 37 days from the date of purchase, the vehicle shall be impounded.
• In the absence of any of the above, the vehicle owner shall be fined the amount of P100,000 for using an unregistered vehicle while the driver shall be fined the amount of P1,000 and cited for reckless driving.

‘Protect self from heat’

Prolonged exposure to the sun for more than 20 minutes or more can cause skin problems and even heat stroke.

“Make sure you take shelter after 20 minutes, wear sun protection and do not go out when you have no important thing to do outdoors.” PAGASA Mactan Chief Meteorologist Al Quiblat

The advice resulted from the recorded temperature yesterday. Based on PAGASA records, yesterday’s temperature peaked at 32.1 degrees Celsius but the heat index (how the heat is actually felt) was at 36 degrees.

According to Quiblat, this is just the beginning because the temperature can still go up until May.

Other top Cebu News stories:

Sun.Star Cebu: Rama: Pray over ‘spirits’ in SRP
The Freeman: 15 city brgys experience ‘water crisis’
Cebu Daily News: Lapu girl kills self before graduation
Cebu Daily News: Cebuano teen in coma after mauling
Sun.Star Cebu: ‘Suspicious’ men spying on vic’s hospital, house
The Freeman: PNP sacks HPG cops in Archival ambush

Cebu Business headlines:

Sun.Star Cebu: Grand Land launches 5 projects in 3 years
The Freeman: Smartphone usage boosts Philippine e-commerce industry
Sun.Star Cebu: Sun Gold owner ventures into real estate business
The Freeman: Property firm earmarks P2B for condotel project