Categories
News

Cebu News Digest: March 19, 2015: MCDCB to DPWH: Widen major roads, not destroy serviceable ones; Gaisanos to PAL: Apologize or we’ll sue

The Metro Cebu Development Coordinating Board (MCDCB) sub-committee on infrastructure and utilities appealed to MCDCB to widen major roads in Metro Cebu instead of “destroying” serviceable roads that only result in traffic congestion.

The Gaisanos threatened to sue flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) after a minor member of the family suffered second degree burns during a Bangkok-Manila flight last month.

The relatives of the car crash victims at the South Road Properties (SRP) reached a settlement with truck driver Danilo Cojo, who was released from jail after the charges against him were dropped.

Are you planning to buy a condo unit or thinking of investing in one?

Check out Eagles’ Nest by Primary Homes — a great option especially for students of Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu. The school has endorsed it as alternative living arrangement for its students. (Read more about the project here.)

Here are the top stories for today, March 19, 2015:

“No improvement” in Metro Cebu traffic

During the MCDCB full council meeting at the Talisay City Hall yesterday, Engr. Fortunato Sanchez Jr., chairman of the MCDCB sub-committee on infrastructure and utilities, said there is a need to widen major roads instead of “fixing” those that are not damaged, such as S. Osmeña Blvd. and the national highway in Minglanilla town.

Using Japan International Cooperation Agency’s survey on Metro Manila’s purported loss of P2.4 billion per day because of its congested roads, Sanchez said that Cebu’s traffic problem is 1.4 percent of that in Manila, thereby the province could also be losing P145 million a day due to traffic congestion.

“In Cebu, we destroy good roads. We are not improving traffic.” – Engr. Fortunato Sanchez Jr.

According to DPWH 7 Regional Director Ador Canlas, while some roads appear to be in good condition, they no longer meet DPWH standards and need to be repaired.
Sanchez pointed out that it is not the quality of roads that solve the traffic problem, saying that “poor system and lack of planning” are the two problems that are causing the current traffic situation in Metro Cebu.

Canlas also said that DPWH also has several road-widening and drainage projects in the pipeline, but problems with the road right-of-way acquisition are delaying the implementation.

Damage control goes awry

For negligence after a paper cup of hot water accidentally spilled on the leg of their 10-year-old daughter, members of the prominent Gaisano family in Cebu is looking at filing a complaint against PAL.
A demand letter was sent since the girl suffered second-degree burns on the left thigh and leg. She had asked for some warm water to drink.

The child is the granddaughter of Eddie Gaisano of the Cebu-based Gaisano Capital Group which runs a family-owned chain of malls in the Visayas and Mindanao.

PAL President Jaime Bautista allegedly set as condition that he would only see the Gaisanos, especially the child, between 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on March 10, as he had to return to Manila at 11 a.m.
Eddie Gaisano, the child’s grandfather, was not happy about it.

“If they really are sincere in asking for an apology they cannot order the Gaisano family to meet them (PAL) at their own sweet time and convenience.” – Lawyer Baldomero Estenzo

Spared from raps

The families of the victims of the car crash at the South Road Properties (SRP) last Sunday dropped their complaint against the truck driver after both parties reached a settlement.

Truck driver Danilo Cojo was released after the victims’ families withdrew the complaint of reckless imprudence resulting in multiple homicide.

The families of the crash victims in SRP and SGE Trucking, the company of Cojo, reached a settlement yesterday.

Cojo left for his hometown in Davao del Norte last night to attend the wake of his mother, who died while he was in detention.

Former cop shot to death, graduating student wounded

Two unidentified men shot to death a former police officer and wounded a graduating architecture student on Tres de Abril St. in Barangay Labangon, Cebu City yesterday morning.

The former cop is ex-PO3 Roy Nudalo Tolentino who died from two gunshot wounds in the chest and neck.

A bullet grazed the neck of Kenneth Jone Garcia Homeres, an architecture graduating student, who was rushed to a private hospital and released later.

The police are looking at different angles related to Tolentino’s murder, including the possibility that he was involved in illegal activities.

 

CDU grad lands 9th place in med tech board

Maria Cindy Estoce’s effort of studying six hours a day from Monday to Friday while reviewing for the licensure exam landed her in the ninth place of the Medical Technologist Board Examinations with an overall rating of 88 percent.

Estoce, 21, a native of Barangay Nabuad in Inabanga, Bohol, graduated from the Cebu Doctors’ University (CDU).

Her past experiences—her mother figured in an accident and their house damaged by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake in October 2013—motivated her to do her best. She wants to be a doctor.

“I wanted to be a topnotcher because that is the only way I could get a scholarship when I pursue a medical degree. I want to help the poor who are like me.” –Maria Cindy Estoce

CDU is planning to give Estoce a full refund of her tuition. She can also be given priority in the university’s scholarship program.

Other top Cebu News stories:

Cebu Daily News: Pardo families salvage among ruins as food aid comes through
The Freeman: Teacher may face admin, civil liability for suicides of 2 students
Cebu Daily News: Deles to ASEAN: Stand for our dream for peace
Sun.Star Cebu: For these centenarians, old habits just don’t die
The Freeman: Councilors: Hasten CCMC construction

Cebu Business headlines:

Sun.Star Cebu: Retailers urged to develop e-commerce to reach online Chinese shoppers
Sun.Star Cebu: Microinsurance provider pays up to P695 million in claims in 2014

Categories
News

Cebu News Digest: Feb. 9, 2015: Lapu-Lapu, Danao, Carcar good areas for future development, says study; 2 Cebuano SAF policemen buried

Two Cebuanos of the 44 Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (SAF) policemen were laid to rest yesterday, Feb. 8, 2015, in Cebu. Meanwhile, cops and civilians shave their head to show sympathy for the relatives of SAF commandos.

Are you planning to live in Liloan? How about buying a vacation house there?

Primary Homes, which sponsors the Cebu News Digest, prides itself as being “your reliable partner” in building your dream home. In Liloan, it has Colorado Dos, “an affordable housing development made of stone bricks that can provide a more comfortable temperature especially during very warm seasons.” Check it out in the company’s website.

Here are the top Cebu News Stories for today, Feb. 9, 2015:

Two Cebuanos SAF policemen buried

On Sunday, Feb. 8, 2015, PO2 Romeo Cempron, 33, was laid to rest in Tayud Public Cemetery in Consolacion, Cebu, his hometown, while PO1 Windel Candano was buried in Cebu South Memorial Garden in Talisay City, Cebu.

“He was my greatest teacher before he became a hero for everybody. He is my personal hero.” — Dr. Cristine Cempron, wife of PO2 Romeo Cempron

“Akong ikasulti lang nga dili unta malimtan sa gobyerno ang sakripisyo nilang gibuhat, unsay dapat para niya, unta mahatag sa gobyerno, hustisya.” — Ulysses Llano, childhood friend of PO1 Windel Candano

“Today, as we bid farewell to one of our fallen comrades, we honor their commitment, their service and their dedication.” — Senior Superintendent Prudencio Tom Bañas, chief of the Police Regional Office (PRO) – Central Visayas

More than 20 policemen, civilians and leaders, including former partylist Rep. Pastor “Jun” Alcover Jr., shaved their heads at the Plaza Independencia to show sympathy for the relatives of the 44 SAF cops killed in action during a mission to serve a warrant of arrest on two international terrorists in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.

PO2 Christopher Lalan, a survivor of the January 25 encounter in Mamasapano, Maguindanao that killed 44 troopers, will lead the 26 resource persons invited to appear in a Senate inquiry into the bloody incident today, February 9.

PO2 Windel Candano
HONORING THE FALLEN. Family, friends and colleagues pay tribute to PO2 Windel Candano, one of the SAF commandos slain in the Maguindanao clash. (Photo by the Cebu Provincial Government)

More urban development recommended for Lapu-Lapu, Danao, Carcar

A study team from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) found that the cities of Lapu-Lapu, Danao and Carcar are good areas for future development given that they have wide areas that are not at risk of floods or landslides.

According to the team, Carcar City has 3,327 hectares available for development, Lapu-Lapu City has 2,069 hectares, while Danao City has 1,429 hectares available.

Smaller available areas for development are available in Liloan, which has 837 hectares; San Fernando, with 832 hectares; and Naga City, with 782 hectares.

Of the 13 local government units studied in Metro Cebu, 76 percent of the area was found not suitable for urban development.

The study team said they found 11,948 hectares or about 10.9 percent of the total area to be “development-suitable” while 72 percent of the study’s territory was in a “slope hazard area”.

February 9 newspaper headlines
TOP STORIES. The front pages today of Cebu’s English dailies.

Other top Cebu News Stories:

Cebu Business headlines:

Sun.Star Cebu: Developer to double size of Minglanilla reclamation project
Sun.Star Cebu: Filinvest condotel investors get higher Q4 share: company
Sun.Star Cebu: Cordova tourism ‘on the rise,’ says vice mayor
The Freeman: P30M marine culture park project sets off in Cordova