The partnership between the Philippine Red Cross and Smart Communications Inc. in setting up first aid stations will continue during the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) 2016.
Smart and Red Cross have been putting up first aid stations in critical areas of the Sinulog religious procession and Grand Parade for 13 years now. The two organizations have decided to extend that partnership in tomorrow’s (Friday) mass at the Capitol and procession toward the Plaza Independencia.
The two organizations will put up first aid stations at the Capitol and in Plaza Independencia. Red Cross volunteers will be joined by 12 Smart employees and 15 student-volunteers from the University of San Jose Recoletos. These volunteers are the same ones who were fielded during the Sinulog religious procession and Grand Parade earlier this month.
Smart, along with parent company PLDT, provides crucial connectivity and network support for the IEC.
Here’s what you need to know this morning of January 25, 2016, Day 4 of the International Eucharistic Congress 2016.
Papal legate visits dancing Cebu prisoners, asks them to pray for him
Papal Legate Charles Maung Cardinal Bo, SDB, visited the famous dancing inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center.
Despite the drizzle, the inmates showed their world-famous dance routines, including one on the official IEC hymn, “Christ in us, our hope of glory.”
“Your prayers are very powerful because God is very near you. So pray for all of us. Pray for a more peaceful Philippines. Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, but it is about learning to dance in the rain.” Papal legate Charles Maung Cardinal Bo, SDB.
Organizers advised those who have flights on Thursday to leave four hours before their scheduled flight to avoid the expected traffic jams due to the 51st IEC activities.
On Thursday, half of the Mandaue-Mactan Bridge going to Lapu-Lapu will be closed for the Pilgrim walk from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., and on Thursday night, the roads near the churches that are part of the Visita Iglesia will also be closed. The churches for the Visita Iglesia are Asilo dela Milagrosa, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Redemptorist Church, Sto. Rosario Church, Sacred Heart Church, Cathedral and Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino.
A bishop from the United States urged the clergy attending the 51st IEC to reach out to their flock using modern means like social media. But, he cautioned, in introducing Christ to the world, one needs to “prepare with all seriousness” and read a lot of teachings and books.
“What an extraordinary tool you are given with the new media. If we don’t use that, I think we are missing an extraordinary technology.”
– Bishop Robert Barron, Los Angeles auxiliary bishop
Barron said many Catholics in the US and Western Europe no longer show interest in hearing mass, which he described as a “spiritual disaster.” In his own diocese, he said, more than 70 percent of are no longer attending masses.
“What’s sad today is the attitude towards the Eucharist, that so many in the Catholic world have become blasè about it.
– Bishop Barron
Barron, however, praised Filipino Catholics in the US for reviving the Christian faith. In many US parishes, it’s the Filipino communities that keep them alive.
The head of the Lapu-Lapu City Traffic Management System (CTMS) suggested trying number-coding or color-coding to deal with the traffic gridlock in Metro Cebu. CTMS Chief Frank Brazil also suggested increasing regulations on the sale of vehicles.
“More people are buying cars but our roads are not getting wider.” — CTMS Chief Frank Brazil, according to Sun.Star Cebu
The Land Transportation Office (LTO), meanwhile, offered to help address Mandaue City traffic. LTO 7 Director Arnel Tancinco said they will first determine how many vehicles use Mandaue City’s main roads during specific hours. The data will help determine the number of enforcers needed to be fielded in specific areas. LTO will also include in report recommendations on the use of traffic signs.
On the implementation of number-coding or color-coding, Traffic Enforcement Agency of Mandaue chief Glenn Antigua said this might backfire.
“It might encourage people to buy more cars, and that will only worsen traffic.” — TEAM chief Glenn Antigua, according to Sun.Star Cebu
Church officials closely monitoring priests accused of molesting 16-year-old girl
The Archdiocese of Cebu is closely monitoring a priest in Aloguinsan, Cebu accused of molesting a 16-year-old girl inside his car.
Cebu Archdiocesan spokesperson Msgr. Joseph Tan said they also received complaints from the priest’s parishioners in the St. Raphael the Archangel Parish in Aloguinsan. The priest has denied the allegation, according to Msgr. Rey Penagunda, the vicar general assigned to look into the complaint.
Tan said the priest will undergo a canonical investigation, the result of which will be submitted to the Vatican. But he assured that even with this church investigation, the Archdiocese will cooperate with legal proceedings.
Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said the Department of Budget and Management approved the setting aside of P1.5 billion for provincial roads. Capitol sought funding for provincial roads to help boost Cebu tourism.
Davide said Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Rogelio Singson sent him a message saying the P1.5 billion will be given to DPWH 7. Davide said he will provide more details in his State of the Province Address next month.
Piso-piso campaign raises P13 million for International Eucharistic Congress
The campaign to raise funds for the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) has gathered P13 million of its target of P20 million. The Piso Para sa Misa ng Mundo (PPMM) campaign is meant to gather donations to help in Cebu’s hosting of the IEC in January 2016.
Organizers project that they will need to spend P250 million for the IEC. Msgr. Joseph Tan, media liaison officer of the IEC, said 2,000 of the 5,000 delegates who registered online have already paid the registration fees.
PNP Central Visayas to field more police officers on the streets
Following an order by the new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, police will deploy more officers on the streets in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.
Police Regional Office 7 Director Prudencio Tom Bañas said workers at the headquarters will be assigned to the streets to increase police visibility.
“In line with the directive, we will make plans that our own people here in the regional headquarters will go to the streets in the different cities in Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.” — PRO 7 Director Prudencio Tom Bañas, according to The Freeman
Bañas, himself, will help patrol downtown Cebu City.
“It’s now becoming very obvious that Rama, et.al are moving heaven and earth to delay the disposition of the case calculated to reach the 90-day period given to resolve the case and the 45-day ban for suspension of public officials.” — Lawyer Reymelio Delute, who filed complaint
“Oversupply is already felt, that’s why some developers have pushed back with their launches.” — Colliers International research and advisory services director Julius Guevara, according to Sun.Star Cebu
“I’m confident we will not have difficulty in hiring talents for this type of services because for one, Filipinos are highly-trainable and quick learners.” — Scott Johnson, Azpired BPO chief executive officer.
Since the Pope already recently visited the Philippines, he is less likely to visit Cebu next year for the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC), according to a Vatican envoy. Still, the Cebu Archdiocese remains hopeful that the Pope will consider attending the congress.
This afternoon, a grand staging of the Kaplag reenactment or the discovery of the Sto. Niño de Cebu will be held in downtown Cebu City.
For the SM Seaside City, the Cebu City Council has endorsed eight bus stations for the high-quality public transport system (HQPTS) route from the South Road Properties to the North Reclamation Area.
Tribu Lumad Basakanon, representing the Sinulog of Cebu City may have failed to defend its title in the 13th Aliwan Festival in Pasay City last Saturday after coming out second next to Manaragat Festival (Tribu Katbalaugan) from Catbalogan, Samar, but for the group, it was their best performance since they started joining the national festival competition.
Are you planning to buy a house unit or thinking of investing in one?
Check out Astele, which is among the newest property developments of top developer Primary Homes in Lapu-Lapu City. Astele is a vibrant community nestled in the coastal area of the island, close to top beach vacation getaways. It makes use of natural lines and Asian contemporary elements that give it a tasteful and minimalist feel. (Read more about the project here.)
Here are the top stories for today, April 27, 2015:
Cebu to reenact Sto. Niño de Cebu discovery; heavy traffic expected in downtown Cebu City this afternoon
Parts of downtown Cebu City have been transformed into a pre-Hispanic village as part of this afternoon’s reenactment of the Kaplag or the discovery of the Sto. Niño de Cebu, the country’s oldest religious icon.
Cebu Daily News reported that 300 local actors and actresses will be joining the reenactment that is being supervised by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
Renowned Cebuano choreographer Val Sandiego, award-winning playwright Floy Quintos, and Trina Cayabyab– daughter of renowned composer Ryan Cayabyab — are working together to stage the performance that will show the Christianization of the Philippines that started in Cebu.
A 5:30 p.m. mass that will be presided by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle at the Basilica del Sto. Niño will follow the reenactment.
Authorities warn of heavy downtown traffic with roads around the Basilica being closed to vehicle traffic.
“I’d like to tell all Cebuanos that this is a very big event. Everybody should take part in the celebrations. The next time we’ll have a celebration as grandiose as this will be in 2065. I just can’t wait for another 50 years because I may no longer be alive by that time. Let’s, therefore, make the most out of this.” — Augustinian priest Fr. Harold Rentoria, executive director of the 450th Kaplag celebration, as quoted by Cebu Daily News
“At a certain point the Holy Father has expressed intentions of going to Cebu for the Congress because it is a tradition. It’s a tradition that the Holy Father attends the Eucharistic Congresses. Because the IEC requires the presence of the bishop of Rome. Given that the Holy Father has already come to the Philippines, I doubt if he will be able to be here since he already visited the victims of the typhoons.” –Vatican envoy Monsignor Piero Marini
Pope Francis also has several trips to different countries this year and in 2016. Cebu will host the 51st IEC in January 2016.
Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma said that the pope might consider returning to the country.
The Pope came to the Philippines in January 2015 to visit Tacloban and Manila to personally pray for and bless super typhoon Yolanda survivors.
“Up to the last minute we are not sure yet. Originally, there was really intention pero with what happened, the typhoon and earthquake, he came. Still we are hoping because one possibility is that if he comes to a country in Asia, because of a big event, he might pass by. We are not sure unless there is final word.” — Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma
Church officials said the construction of the pavilion for the 51st International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) that will be held in Cebu City next year is “halfway done” and that the construction work is “ahead of schedule.”
Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) has 307 bench warrants for private and public vehicle drivers with unsettled traffic violations. It served seven warrants yesterday and will serve more next week.
Meanwhile, traffic improved significantly in the North Reclamation Area (NRA) when Logarta Street was opened to two-way traffic between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Are you planning to buy a condo unit or thinking of investing in one?
Here are the top stories for today, March 14, 2015:
Building for IEC halfway done
The P550-million Eucharistic Pavilion will be used for the gathering of the religious during the 51st IEC in January 2016.
But once the gathering is over, the facility will be used as a pastoral center and a new minor seminary for the Archdiocese of Cebu. It would also serve as the “biggest evacuation center” in Cebu.
“I was a bit anxious in the past but when I saw the development in the Pavilion, I’m now very excited about the forthcoming event. From all angles, people know that we are prepared.” — Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma
“Cebu is making a miracle, beyond human effort.” — Archbishop Piero Marini, president of the IEC (words were echoed by Palma)
Under a memorandum of agreement, contractor Duros Development Construction fully shouldered the cost of building the pavilion in exchange for usufruct rights over part of the seminary property for 25 years.
The Eucharistic Pavilion is now 50.8 percent complete. The estimated completion date is in September this year.
Citom shows it means business, serves arrest warrants
Citom served seven warrants yesterday to drivers who have unsettled traffic violations. It will serve more warrants, which were issued by Municipal Trial Court in Cities Branch 7 Judge Francisco Seville Jr., next week.
It has 307 bench warrants for private and public vehicle drivers.
“We prioritized the serving of bench warrants to private vehicle owners to show that they are not exempted.” — Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) operations chief Jonathan Tumulak
Common traffic violations included disregard of road signs, making wrong turns and parking on no-parking zones.
Meanwhile, at least eight erring taxi drivers were reported to the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board-7 for refusing to comply with the provisional taxi fare decrease.
Citom noted that that traffic improved in the NRA when Logarta St. was opened to two-way traffic between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
The new adjustment is the third one implemented by Citom for the NRA. Implemented starting last Thursday, it coincides with the truck ban, giving opportunity for more light vehicles to pass the NRA.
However, jeepney passengers are confused with the several changes made in the rerouting plans since March 5 when traffic in the North Reclamation Area was disrupted by rehabilitation work on the S. Osmeña Road.
AFTER a rapturous welcome by millions of Filipinos, Pope Francis left the country yesterday “feeling the warmth” of the bastion of Christianity in Asia. While many in Cebu who had hoped the popular pontiff would drop by were disappointed, there are talks the pope will be here for an important Church conference next year.
Despite a campaign for a zero-waste Sinulog, 197 tons of garbage were collected after this year’s festivity, more than what was gathered last year.
Meanwhile, are you still reading this news summary on a PC or laptop? We’d like to invite you to try viewing it on a phone. We made sure this site works well on a phone. You can then start your day right by opening www.mycebu.ph on your phone to get a rundown of the day’s top Cebu news and read our other stories.
Here are the top Cebu news stories for January 20, 2015:
Pope Francis invited to Cebu for International Eucharistic Congress in 2016
Philippine church officials are hoping Pope Francis will return to the country to attend the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) that will be held in Cebu in January next year. Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle said they are hoping the Pope would come and that he would bring the invitation up again when he meets him in Rome next month.
Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma, according to a Cebu Daily News report, “draws hope from hints from the Vatican that Pope Francis is interested to attend the conference in Cebu.”
“I told him to visit the Philippines during the IEC and the Holy Father told me: ‘Pray that I’m still alive by that time and that I still have enough strength (to travel). I couldn’t help but laugh at his remark.” — Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma on a conversation with the Pope before his recent visit to the country.
The IEC 2016 was originally scheduled in May but moved to January 25 to 31 since the Pope’s schedule was full in May.
“Kung pupunta siya, wow, salamat. Pero sa ngayon, gusto ng Santo Papa na bumalik muna sa Roma para makapaghinga.” — Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle
“I am very optimistic nga moari siya sa 2016, judging from the people nga misugat niya ug katong mitambong sa kaihokan sa Manila… We should pray nga mobalik siya.” — Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III.
“I know that popes do not attend the IEC. In all the IECs that I have attended from India, Europe, Poland to Rome, to America, there’s no attendance of a pope, only a representative.” — Archbishop Emeritus of Cebu Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, who said he would love to personally invite the Pope here.
“While it is true that popes do not normally come to the IEC, IEC 2016 in Cebu merits a special consideration.” — Cebu Archdiocese media liaison officer Msgr. Joseph Tan, pointing out that Pope Francis is known as the “Pope of Surprises”
Huge Sinulog crowd overwhelms police, volunteers; 197 tons of trash gathered after Grand Parade
Crowd control has always been a key challenge of the Sinulog Grand Parade. This year, the huge turnout overwhelmed police and volunteers.
“We managed the crowd in the morning but at 2:30 p.m., they grew in number so we were overwhelmed. Some people who crossed the pedestrian crossing zones spilled over to the carousel route since they cannot head to the provided exit due to lack of space.” — Tinago Barangay Captain Joel Garganera, Sinulog crowd control committee head
The city designated 26 pedestrian zones to allow people to cross the carousel route without disturbing contingents joining the grand parade.
“At 4 p.m., the crowd was already unmanageable along Mango Avenue where house music was already blaring near the carousel route and people just wanted to be festive and dance.” — Joel Garganera
Acting Cebu City police chief Senior Supt. Conrad Capa suggested that the number of police personnel be doubled to better manage the crowd.
“Though some of the zones became ineffective, I would like to commend the officers who served as human barricades since they never lost their temper despite the heat.” — Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama.
Despite a Zero-Waste Sinulog campaign, revelers left 197 tons of garbage on the city’s streets, more than the 170 tons collected last year.
It took 1,000 workers, 13 garbage trucks and 11 hours to clear the streets of trash, a City Hall official said.
“Bisan pag butangan og trash bin ang carousel route, way control ang mga tawo. Wa sad mi control sa mga tawo.” — Department of Public Services chief Rolando Ardosa. (Even if we placed trash bins along the carousel route, people showed no control. And we couldn’t control them either)
“The crowd in Manila is expecting more from Sinulog every year, that’s why we have to make sure that our representative can maintain the standard.” — Sinulog Foundation Inc. executive director Ricky Ballesteros
Were you among the 700 issued with citation for throwing trash, urinating in public etc? City Hall said you better settle that fine to avoid getting issued a warrant of arrest. Read The Freeman’s story here.
“Mas nindot kun i-settle dayon na nila para wala nay problema. Kun walay ikabayad, puwede ra mag-community service. Mas dali kun i-settle kaysa makasohan nato sila.” — Cebu City Environmental Sanitation Enforcement Team Chief Grace Luardo