This is the roundup of top Cebu news stories today, July 19, 2016.
DOH reports 159 percent increase in dengue cases
The first half of the year saw a 159 percent increase in dengue cases in Region 7, with most victims belonging to the 6 to 10 years old bracket. There were 6,066 dengue cases and 49 deaths from Jan. 1 to June 18 this year, a significant increase from last year’s number of 2,340 cases and 12 deaths.
We just had El Nino. Atong gi-emphasize sa atong katawhan nga ayaw mo kapanatag o relax nga El Nino wala’y dengue. Because there are still breeding places, fewer maybe, and these mosquitoes naa sila’y peculiar properties or pamatasan nga kung tag-init kay mas paspas sila mangitlog. Province Health Officer Dr. Cynthia Genosolango.
New Zealand health industry seeks more Pinoy workers
New Zealand’s Ambassador to the Philippines David Strachan said demand for Filipino workers in his country remains at an all time high as their country opens almost 11 nursing homes annually for their aging population. The ambassador,
who said he wants to forge closer ties with Cebu, said Filipino nurses are the most preferred in their fields, hopes more Pinoy join their healthcare industry.
New Zealand is already experiencing difficulties in recruiting medical practitioners and training specialists in geriatric care, and if training programs do not develop the skills needed to care for older people, then the health workforce is likely to face increased strain in delivering care as our population ages…taken overall, the projections suggest population aging will bring significant increases in the demand for both primary and hospital health services. New Zealand study on its health industry.
Bato asks Tommy: Don’t abandon police
After confirming that some of the police officials in Cebu who were transferred were involved in the drug trade, Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa asked Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmena not to abandon the police in its war against drugs. Osmena earlier said he will stop helping the police in the war against drugs due to the relief of former Cebu City police chief Senior Supt. Benjamin Santos.
Pasensya na Sir, kung nahiubos ka nga gipangtanggal namo ang imohang city director, ang imong mga pulis nga na-identify gyud sa illegal drug trade. Prangkahanay to, pasensiya na, ing-ani ka tininuod among kumbati run. PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa.
Other news on the war against drugs
Other Cebu News
Cebu Business News
Cebu Sports News