Categories
News

Alcoy mayor suspended over P21,000; Osmena dares landfill owner to sue City Hall; Councilors want cash aid distribution probed–Cebu News Digest

This is the roundup of stories that came out in local publications today, October 5, 2016.

NO MERIT. The Ombudsman dismissed a complaint against Mike Rama over a rally staged at City Hall for lack of merit. (Photo from Mike Rama's Facebook page)
NO MERIT. The Ombudsman dismissed a complaint against Mike Rama over a rally staged at City Hall for lack of merit. (Photo from Mike Rama’s Facebook page)

Ombudsman clears Rama, suspends Alcoy mayor over cash advance

BELEAGUERED former Cebu City mayor Mike Rama got a break after the Ombudsman cleared him and two other officials over an allegedly illegal protest held in City Hall last year. The office dismissed the complaints filed by Patricio Salado, retired Col. Felix Mangyao against Rama, Joel Garganera and ABC president Philip Zafra for lack of merit. On the other hand, the Ombudsman ordered Alcoy mayor Michael Angelo Sestoso for one month and one day over his failure to liquidate the P21,078 in travel expenses for a trip to Boracay in 2010 yet.

Respondent’s failure to liquidate his cash advance for a period of over five years is a clear display of carelessness and failure to give proper attention to the task expected of him. Eleanor Tayad-de Mira, graft investigation and prosecution officer.

Read: Cebu Daily News: Rama gets a break, Alcoy mayor faces suspension for 2010 expenses

Sun.Star Cebu: Mayor says his documents went missing in treasurer’s office.

Stubborn Tomas says only Supreme Court can make City pay landfill

A DEFIANT Tomas Osmena said only the Supreme Court can make Cebu City pay the P32 million it owes in tipping fees to a private landfill in Consolacion. Osmena said a representative of ASian Energy Systems Corp. visited his office to collect the P32 million it owes for the first half of 2016 but added he remained firm that he won’t play since there is no valid contract with the owner.

I told him you go ahead and sue me. It’s okay. I recommended it. That’s the only way you can get it. I’m not going to pay…Asian Energy has no contract. And he’s trying to collect P32 million. So, sorry. I’m not going to do it. Tomas Osmena.

Read: Cebu Daily News: Osmena urges landfill owner to sue City Hall to get P32 million payment.

Freeman: Osmena cites absence of contract for refusing to pay private landfill

City Council asks Ombudsman for probe over cash aid distribution

THE Cebu City Council wants the Obmudsman to probe City Hall over irregularities in the cash aid distribution to senior citizens, saying the distribution wasn’t done in the barangay halls in some areas.

Nalawgaw ang distribusyon niining gamay apan makahulugang kantidad nga salapi tungod sa mando sa hepe ehekutibo ning syudad sa Sugbo. Sakit kaayo kining nahitabo karon kay kalit lang gibalhin ngadto sa laing dapit, ug laing tawo, gawas sa kadtong gitahasan sa ordinansa sa syudad, ang nagdumala niining maong distribusyon sa matag senior citizen. Councilor Pastor Alcover.

Read: Freeman: Team Rama cites irregularities in cash aid distribution

Cebu Daily News: Pesquera files resolution for probe on cash aid distribution.

Other Cebu News.

Sun.Star Cebu: DPWH says 2013 quake damaged SRP gaps

Sun.Star Cebu: 3 weeks after release from jail, ex-con shot dead at home

Sun.Star Cebu: Former CPPO chief denies protecting Kerwin Espinosa

Sun.Star Cebu: Police identifies 3 killers of woman linked to two drug lords

Sun.Star Cebu: Dole sets Nov. 8 as deadline for new memo on contractualization

Freeman: Local marine conservationist urges end to shark poaching in Cebu

Freeman: PCL urges measures to address drug surrenderers

Cebu Daily News: Mandaue eyes fines on households with mosquito breeding grounds

Cebu Daily News: Police arrest two high-value targets, five others in latest drug busts

Cebu Daily News: Pag-asa expects better weather in Cebu next week

Cebu Daily News: Osmena eyes terminals for habal-habal drivers

Cebu Business News.

Sun.Star Cebu: Business groups say it’s too early to judge Duterte admin

Sun.Star Cebu: Lawmaker wants moratorium on car sales to address traffic

Freeman: MSMEs hopes government will offer access to low-cost credit

Freeman: Gaisano Capital shuns IPO for now

Cebu Daily News: Exec urges PH to maintain ties with EU, US

Cebu Sports News.

Sun.Star Cebu: Lancers advance to Cesafi semifinals

Freeman: Ateneo, SWU win in SBP Passerelle tournament

Cebu Daily News: Rotary Clubs back Pink October run

Cebu Opinion.

Sun.Star Cebu Editorial: Cebu City shows lack of empahty over scholars’ fate

Freeman Editorial: Thirst for vengeance blinds the church

Cebu Daily News: There should be no compromise for safety

Orlando Carvajal: Showing of sex video is illegal, irrelevant

Bong Wenceslao: Pacquiao duping millions of fans

Eddie Barrita: Unstoppable presidential tongue

Bobby Nalzaro: Tomas deriving pleasure from students’ misery

Korina Sanchez: Confusion, clarification is the new normal

Jerry Tundag: Journalists, when attacked, should strive to become better

Raymond Fernandez: Peace and order vs. rule of law

Nestor Ramirez: It’s time to regulate habal-habals

 

Comments

By MyCebu

MyCebu is all about Cebu. If you share our passion and have a story to tell or you want to partner with us, pitch us at [email protected]

[Fancy_Facebook_Comments]