Here’s the roundup of stories that came out in local publications today, February 4, 2016.
Mandaue traffic to worsen
A DPWH official is warning motorists who pass by Mandaue City that traffic in the area will worsen starting on Feb. 8 with the repair of the Mandaue-Mactan bridge. Ouano Avenue will also be repaired starting February 4, which could also worsen the traffic situation.
The bridge repair will end in December, while the rehabilitation of Ouano Avenue will end in July. Both projects were supposed to start last year but were delayed to give way to the Sinulog and the 51st International Eucharist Congress.
It’s about time to implement these projects without further delay. There will be an impact on our traffic (situation) but we will try our best to minimize the impact. If we further delay on this, we will just delay our suffering. Ador Canlas, DPWH 7 director.
Freeman: Roads in Mandaue to be closed partially for repairs.
Cebu Daily News: DPWH to close one lane of Mandaue-Mactan bridge for repair.
Sun.Star Cebu: After Sinulog, IEC DPWH starts roadworks in Mandaue.
Rama explains story behind IEC selfie
SUSPENDED Cebu City mayor Mike Rama apologized for taking a selfie during the communion rites of the 51st IEC but pointed out he wasn’t after publicity when he took that picture as accused by rival Tomas Osmena.
Rama said that after taking communion, he climbed on top of a platform and took a photo of the crowd with his phone when he heard someone suggest, “Mayor, selfie.” He obliged the request.
I was already on the platform, so I took a selfie with them. They wanted to be in the same picture. Why should you blame people for taking a picture? That event is historic. Suspended Cebu City mayor Mike Rama.
Sun.Star Cebu: Rama says he had no intent to desecrate IEC mass.
Cebu Daily News: Team Rama denies putting up Binay streamer in IEC mass
Freeman: Mike apologizes for IEC selfie
Cop receives ‘extra bonus’ eight years after cancer diagnosis.
Senior Superintendent Renato Dugan is grateful for being alive 13 years after surviving an accident and eight years after learning he has lung cancer.
Dugan, who was promoted to his latest rank after 10 years as a superintendent, figured in an accident in 2002 on the way to a bomb-blast demonstration.
The plan of God is not the plan of man. Being a police officer, you just do the right thing. Senior Superintendent Renato Dugan.
Other Cebu News:
Sun.Star Cebu: CPPO monitors 5 towns, two cities for politicos’ alleged links to drugs.
Sun.Star Cebu: DOH assures public that Cebu is still free from Zika virus.
Sun.Star Cebu: Naga City spends P8 million for regional meet.
Freeman: Cop sieze man with P11.8M shabu.
Freeman: Rama says UNA will gain strong support from Cebu; But Davide belies claim
Cebu Daily News: Influential Durano family still to choose presidential bet.
Cebu Daily News: Fire victims in Mandaue fire can’t rebuild homes after lot owners decide to sell property.
Sun.Star Cebu: Cebu’s famous Rico’s lechon frowns on franchising, says family will control expansion.
Sun.Star Cebu: Manila firm opens first Korean-themed restaurant in Ayala Center Cebu.
Cebu Daily News: DOLE readies aid to Middle East workers displaced by falling oil prices.
Cebu Daily News: Annual expo features 200 franchises to returning OFWs.
Sun.Star Cebu: San Miguel Beer completes historic comeback with Game 7 win.
Freeman: ALA fighters in do-or-die fights in Pinoy Pride 35.
Cebu Daily News: Cebu Landmasters announce lineup for Countrywide Basketball League.