This is the roundup of stories that came out in local publications today, September 26, 2016.
Sabalones name 2 former Cebu City police officers, ex Carcar police chief as protectors
A self-confessed drug lord who surrendered to police after getting tagged by President Rodrigo Duterte has named two former Cebu-based high-ranking police officials among his protectors. Franz Sabalones, a level 2 drug lord who operates in the Visayas, named former Regional Intelligence Division chief Rex Derilo and former Regional Special Operations Group head George Ylanan as among the 18 policemen who received protection money from him.
Derilo was assigned in Zamboanga, while Ylanan was sent to Northern Mindanao. Their reassignment last July was what prompted Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmena to withdraw his support from the police as the two were active in his war against drugs.
During my stint as (intelligence division head), I arrested and neutralized a significant number of drug personalities. Most of them were under Franz. I can’t afford to destroy the reputation and respect I established by serving the people. Rex Derilo.
We are still validating their level of involvement. But obviously, they are involved in the drug trade. Internal Affairs service deputy Inspector General Leo Angelo Leuterio.
Cebu province reports 10 percent drop in crime
SUPT. Brindo Nacario, the Cebu Province Police Office chief of operations and plans, said crimes in the first eight months of the province dropped to 11,424 from 12,858 last year. Nacario also said index crimes (crimes against persons and properties) dropped by 17 percent to 3,444 from 4,152 last year and non-index crimes dropped by 8.34 percent to 7,980 from 8,706 last year. He attributed the decrease to the aggressive anti-drug drive of the police.
Addicts wo are high on drugs are bold enough to commit crimes against persons such as homicide, murder and physical injury. Supt. Brindo Nacario.
Bus accident claims 1 in Toledo city
ONE person died while five others were injured as a speeding bus hit a truck in Magdugo, Toledo City on Saturday. Eduardo Llogan, 48, was pronounced dead on arrival on the hospital, while five others were injured after a Calvo Bus Liner bouned for Cebu City hit a mini dump truck at 4 p.m. The dump truck was on reverse and on its way to unload sand and gravel when it was hit by the bus driven by Apolinario Bacarro.
There was ongoing construction of the drainage beside the road so when the truck moved backward to unload the sand and gravel, instead of stopping, the bus ran through it. The bus driver should ahve stopped to let the dump truck through but instead, he pushed on, which caused the accident. PO3 Julius Sanchez, Toledo Police Station traffic investigator.
Other Cebu News Stories
Cebu Business News