Tabal qualifies for Olympics; Dumpit ready to return to police; Margot fires 700 job-order employees — Cebu News Digest for May 31, 2016

This is the roundup of top Cebu news stories today, May 31, 2016.

RIO BOUND. After beating the Olympic standard of 2:45, Cebuana Mary Joy Tabal must ask the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association to be reinstated to the national team.
RIO BOUND. After beating the Olympic standard of 2:45, Cebuana Mary Joy Tabal must ask the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association to be reinstated to the national team.

Cebuana running sensation Mary Joy Tabal qualifies for Rio Olympics

After failing in her first attempt last month, Mary Joy Tabal finally shattered her personal best, finishing the Scotiabank Ottawa Marathon in Canada in 2 hours, 43 minutes and 29 seconds to qualify for the Olympics. Her previous personal best was 2:48, while the Olympic standard for women’s marathon is 2:45.

Tabal, who is not a member of the national team, will have to write a letter to the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association for her reinstatement. Patafa president Philip Juico said they will confirm if the Scotiabank is indeed an Olympic qualifier before they will let their coaches and board of governors decide whether to get Mary Joy back.

“I was shaking and I felt my whole body was numb. I felt like the world had stopped but I continued on to the cross the finish line to really make it real.” Mary Joy Tabal.

“This will be a collective decision. First we are going to refer this to the coaching staff (of the national team), then we will refer it to the board of directors.” Patafa president Philip Ella Juico on the reinstatement of Tabal to the national team.

Read: Sun.Star Cebu: Mary Joy tabal smashes own record, qualifies for Rio.

Cebu Daily News: Tabal nails Olympic spot in second attempt.

Ottawa Citizen: Handful of athletes qualify to Rio through Ottawa marathon

Dumpit ready to go after criminals again

After spending six years in jail for homicide, SPO1 Adonis Dumpit is ready to join the police force again. Dumpit visited Police Regional Office 7 director Patrocinio Comendador Jr., who reminded him to process his papers before he can return to active duty. Dumpit was sentenced to six to nine years for the killing of suspected robber Ronron Go.

They should earn an honest living like the rest of us…but if they want to kill me, then I won’t have any choice but to defend myself. SPO1 Adonis Dumpit on criminals.

Read: Sun.Star Cebu: Dumpit not afraid to go after criminals again

Cebu Daily News: Dumpit visits PRO 7

700 Cebu City Hall employees lose jobs

Acting Cebu City Mayor Margot Osmena has fired 700 job-order employees assigned at the various departments in Cebu City, including 155 at the Coastal Management Board. Margot said the workers’ services were no longer needed and added that most of them were hired to be used for Team Rama’s campaign. Some 1,300 will be retained, including those who work at the engineering office and the department of public services, while Osmena admitted that she would replace those terminated with her supporters.

All things being equal ha, who will you choose? For you or against you? I mean, hello Isn’t it exactly what they did? I am not going to say, ‘No, that is not true.” That will be a lie. Acting Cebu City Mayor Margot Osmena.

Read: Sun.Star Cebu: Margot sacks 700 job-order employees.

Other Cebu Stories.

» Sun.Star Cebu: COA suspends work on P18M seawall in Barangays Cogon Pardo, Basak San Nicolas due to poor workmanship

» Sun.Star Cebu: PRO 7 sends team to stop drug shipment in Bohol

» Sun.Star Cebu: Unidentified man found dead, covered in tape with message ‘I’m a robber’

» Sun.Star Cebu: Teachers prepare for class opening

» Sun.Star Cebu: Private, government groups unite for street children

» Sun.Star Cebu: Cebu City barangay captains sign manifesto supporting Digong appointee Michael Dino

» Cebu Daily News: Wife mourns for husband killed in anti-drug operation in Bohol

» Cebu Daily News: Girl who saw shooting of ‘drug lord’ to be taken by DSWD

» Cebu Daily News: Ermita barangay captain to help family of Cebuano slain in Bohol anti-drug op

» Cebu Daily News: Zafra defends use of 4 vehicles

» Cebu Daily News: Osmena questions terminal leave benefits of councilors Joey Daluz, Edu Rama

Cebu Business News.

» Sun.Star Cebu: Tour groups agree with Capitol’s move vs. canyoneering

» Sun.Star Cebu: Businessmen adopt wait-and-see attitude with Digong

» Cebu Daily News: DTI opens Negosyo Center in Southern Cebu

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.