Expect heavy traffic in Cebu City starting at noon today for this afternoon’s Sinulog 2015 launching parade. Early yesterday morning, Cebu saw the “biggest and most attended Walk with Jesus,” which surprised church officials who expected attendance to be affected by the upcoming visit of Pope Francis.
In Mandaue, meanwhile, traffic officials said they have been called out by the public works department for allowing tricycles on national highways. They will discuss with drivers and operators possible route changes when tricycles are barred from national highways.
Here are today’s top news stories in Cebu:
Cebu City roads closed today for Sinulog launching parade
Both lanes of Osmeña Blvd. will be closed to vehicles this afternoon for the Sinulog launching parade that will start at the Basilica del Sto. Niño until Fuente-Osmeña. Traffic enforcers will close the roads by noon until the last contingent enters the Cebu City Sports Center.
The launch will start with a mass at the basilica at 2 p.m. to be followed by the parade at 3 p.m.
Drivers should follow traffic advisories and take alternate routes to ease traffic, said Citom Operations Chief Jonathan Tumulak. He said enforcers will be deployed along the route to guide drivers and communters.
“Let’s all be patient and keep cool to avoid trouble on the road.” — Citom Operations Chief Jonathan Tumulak
- Sun.Star Cebu: Road closure on for Sinulog launching parade
Biggest Walk With Jesus turnout in years
Thursday morning’s Walk with Jesus procession was the biggest so far since Fr. Jonas Mejares became rector of the Basilica del Sto. Niño de Cebu. He said it was the “most attended religious opening salvo” he attended.
The “Walk with Jesus” procession is a penitential walk while also serving as the opening of the religious activities of the annual Fiesta Señor.
“Ang Facebook ug ang lain matang sa social media grasya gikan sa Ginoo busa gamiton nato sa maayong pamaagi.” — Fr. Jonas Mejares during sermon, after which he sang “The Impossible Dream.”
Sr. Supt. Conrad Capa, officer-in-charge of the Cebu City Police Office, said 27,000 people joined the procession. He said 29,000 devotees were already in the basilica adding up to 56,000 devotees.
- The Freeman: Biggest turnout in years
- Sun.Star Cebu: 200 cops secure 57,000 devotees
Other Sinulog stories:
- Sun.Star Cebu: The Cebu Provincial Government will send a Pope Francis-themed float to the grand parade; For the first time under Davide, Capitol will also send a contingent of Capitol employees to join the dance presentation
- The Freeman: Cebuana beauties to lead Sinulog 2015 grand finale, which will cost P2.5-million and will feature the finding and discovery of the Sto. Niño
- The Freeman: No day off for Cebu City traffic enforcers on Sinulog
Get Sinulog 2015 Guide on your phone!
No more tricycles in Mandaue national highways soon
Mandaue City tricycles will soon be barred from plying national highways, according to Traffic Enforcement Agency of Mandaue (Team) head Edwin Ermac.
Ermac said Mandaue City has been called out by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for allowing tricycles on national highways. These include M.L. Quezon St., M.C. Briones St., Hernan Cortes St., A.S. Fortuna St. and Plaridel St.
“Sige na og pressure nato ang DPWH nga dili na paagian og tricycles ang national highways.” — Team head Edwin Ermac Ermac.
A 2007 memorandum by the Department of Interior and Local Government banned tricycles and pedicabs on “national highways utilized by four-wheel vehicles greater than four tons and where normal speed exceeds 40 kilometers per hour.”
Ermac said they will change routes of jeepneys and as soon as the routes have been finalized, tricycles will be limited to interior roads.
- Sun.Star Cebu: No more tricycles in Mandaue national highways soon: Team
DPWH to finish temporary steel bridge in Dumlog before Sinulog
If things go as planned, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 will be able to install today the rest of the materials needed for the steel bridge to temporarily connect Dumlog, Sibonga to Argao.
But DPWH 7 maintenance division chief Elvis Calunod said that if materials and the rest of the equipment will not arrive today, the temporary bridge will only have one lane. Dumlog Bridge, which connects Sibonga and Argao, collapsed during tropical storm Seniang.
Other top stories:
- The Freeman: Cebu City Council declines to take up proposals of 3 banks for the conversion of the city’s yen-denominated loan incurred in building South Road Properties
- The Freeman: Pope Francis to use altar, lectern built by Cebu-based furniture exporter Mehitabel Inc.
“It’s an honor for Cebu nga kita ang nabuhat. Ni-participate gyud ang mga Cebuanos sa pagbisita ni Pope. Sama ra nga niapil gyud ta sa iyang misa,” — Jennifer Lunod, customer service manager of Mehitabel Inc.
- The Freeman: Mayor Paz Radaza asks government to include Lapu-Lapu City in planning for Cebu-Cordova bridge
“We’re happy we have the third bridge, ma-decongest na ang traffic.” — Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza
- The Freeman: Cordova Mayor Adelino Sitoy plans to run for lone congressional seat of Lapu-Lapu City; Mayor Paz Radaza says she isn’t threatened: This is a free country, iyahay lang ta og diskarte
September to be tourism month in Cebu City
The Cebu City Tourism Council (CCTC) will declare September as Tourism Month. The city will hold shopping festivals that will offer bargains similar to the annual Black Friday sale in the US.
CCTC will also launch next week a new tourism campaign called Lakbay Lingaw or Fun Travel to showcase the various aspects of the city’s tourism from shopping to history and culture and eco-tourism.
“Bohol, Palawan and Camarines Sur are doing a lot to promote their respective destinations and if we don’t come up with coordinated efforts and fail to align our directions we will lose our spot as prime tourism destination.” — Cebu City Tourism Council chairperson Tetta Baad
- Sun.Star Cebu: September to be tourism month
- The Freeman: CCTC to declare September as “Cebu Tourism Month”
- The Freeman: Liloan, Consolacion open one-stop shops for business permit processing
- Sun.Star Cebu: USC Entrepreneurs’ Fair to open this afternoon in Ayala Center Cebu. Entrep fair will be held until Jan. 11.