This is the roundup of stories that came out in local publications today, October 7, 2016.
Provincial health official cites abnormal increase in declaring outbreak
AN increase of almost 140 percent in Dengue cases has led the Cebu Provincial Health Office to declare a dengue outbreak. Last year, Cebu had 2,834 cases from January to September but this year, the number rose to 6,808, an increase of 140 percent. The number of fatalities also rose to 125 from 36 last year.
We have a dengue outbreak because the number of cases is more than the previous. There is an unusual increase of cases and more people are getting sick…This (140 percent increase) is a relative quantity compared to the previous rate. It is an outbreak and it is abnormal. Dr. Nino Ismael Pastor, PHO chief on public health.
Read: Freeman: Cebu Province health official says dengue outbreak stretching office’s capacity beyond limits.
Cebu Daily News: Provincial doc says sanitary inspectors ‘burn out’ with dengue outbreak.
Convicted ex-cop of Cebu links De Lima to drugs
Convicted Cebu policeman Engelberto Durano linked former Justice Secretary Senator Leila de Lima to the drug trade in the National Bilibid Prison. Durano testified before Congress and said he personally delivered P1.5 million to De Lima. He also said Ronnie Dayan, de Lima’s former driver and alleged lover, offered protection for Cebuano drug lord Jeffery “Jaguar” Diaz.
Sometime in January 2014, I told Jaguar about Ronnie Dayan’s offer for protection in exchange for money and Jaguar was very interested. I gave Ronnie the contact number of Jaguar and that’s how their link started. ronnie told me that if I needed protection in our illegal drug business inside the jail, we just have to help Secretary De Lima win as Senator. Engelberto Durano.
Read: Cebu Daily News: Convicted policeman says De Lima received money from slain Cebu drug lord Jaguar.
Freeman: Ex-cop confirms De Lima’s drug links in testimony
Member sues priest, group for failing to account for P7 million
A member sued 11 officials and priests of a charitable group based in Carcar City and asked them to account for the P7 million the group spent since 2002. Vince Perez of Carcar City filed the case against the foundation, which was established in 2001 but allegedly hasn’t held any elections for the past 10 years.
The acts of respondents in controlling millions of pesos belonging to the foundation are without authority and thus must be declared null and void. Petition of Venus Perez.
Read: Freeman: Member sues charitable group, cites ‘illegal acts’ of officers.