Businessman Jaime Blas Villaceran was killed in an ambush at the intersection of Colon St. and Osmeña Blvd. past 7 a.m. yesterday, shortly after he dropped of his two daughters at school. He was 36.
Villaceran was driving a Toyota Hi-Ace Grandia and was about to stop for a red light when two men on a motorcycle approached the van. The passenger then shot at him. Police said Villaceran died of multiple gunshot wounds in different parts of his body.
Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Intelligence Branch chief Supt. Romeo Santander said the attack may have been related to the victim’s alleged links to illegal drugs. Police recovered 2 .380 pistols, a .25 Derringer revolver, a .45 pistol, 3 magazines, 19 bullets, notebooks, 1 cell phone, and P227,000 in cash from Villaceran’s vehicle. A police investigator said the notebooks contained names.
“He is in our watch list on illegal drugs. I cannot divulge what his level is with due respect to his grieving family.” — Supt. Romeo Santander, according to Sun.Star Cebu
Santander said Villaceran had been in the drugs watch list for a long time although he had never been arrested. He lived in Barangay Lorega-San Miguel, Cebu City.
Sun.Star Cebu reported that Villaceran was said to have sold pork and chicharon and operated a lending firm.
Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama ordered the CCPO to conduct a stringent investigation on the killing and to explain why there were no police officers in the area.
“How did it happen? I would like to make a very clear position sa ilaha (to the police). Look for the culprit. Di man na mahimong ingnon drug involvement ra (They can’t just say drugs were involved). It’s not an excuse. There is a crime. Look for the culprit.” — Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, according to Sun.Star Cebu
- Sun.Star Cebu: Bizman shot, dies
- The Freeman: Daring downtown attack: Lorega trader slain
- Cebu Daily News: AMBUSHED ON COLON STREET
What’s your alternative to solve traffic: Mayor Rama tells critics
Criticisms will not stop Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama from removing the center island on Cardinal Rosales Ave. to Gov. Cuenco Ave., from the Ayala intersection to under the flyover, to ease the traffic gridlock in the area.
Trees on the island will be earth-balled and transferred to the Cebu City-owned lot at the North Reclamation Area, Sun.Star Cebu reported.
“I have to address the traffic problem in that area now because if I don’t, the situation will be worse in the future… So to those who are opposing, let me ask… what is your alternative?” — Mayor Michael Rama
The center island will be replaced with steel railings that can be removed as needed. Read: Ka Bino Guerrero’s open letter to Mayor Rama about the plan.
- Sun.Star Cebu: How do we solve Cebu traffic?
- The Freeman: Rama: Plan ‘to decongest’ traffic
Talisay Mayor de los Reyes bashes political opponents in city address
Talisay City Mayor Johnny de los Reyes blamed his political opponents for blocking important projects and cuttings his annual budget during his State of the City Address last Monday.
De los Reyes told more than a thousand supporters gathered for this speech at the Tabunok Public Market that despite not getting the support of members of the City Council, which is dominated by Alayon, he was able to do more than his predecessors.
“Nakabuhat ko ani tanan bisag pa nga ang inyong mayor wala’y kabangkaagan (With hardly any knowledge to run the city I was able to achieve this).” — Talisay City Mayor Johnny de los Reyes, according to Sun.Star Cebu
- The Freeman: Mayor vents gripe against council
- Sun.Star Cebu: Talisay mayor’s Soca ‘full of lament’
We’re merely protecting people’s money, Talisay opposition retorts
Councilor and former mayor Socrates Fernandez yesterday justified slashing Mayor Johnny de los Reyes’s budget saying the City did not have enough funds.
“We are just merely protecting the people’s money.” — Councilor Socrates Fernandez
The slashing of the budget was among the key issues de los Reyes raised against the council during his State of the City Address.
Vice Mayor Romeo Villarante, a former ally, also denied they were being obstructionists. He did not attend the SOCA but listened to it on the radio. Villarente said what happened was not a state of the city report but a miting de avance or political gathering.
Sun.Star Cebu: We are not obstructionists: Talisay City opposition on de los Reyes’s allegations
Dry weather ahead with El Niño, PAG-ASA warns
Central Visayas will see drier weather ahead and an average temperature of 32 degrees Celsius, said PAG-ASA Visayas Director Oscar Tabada. This is because of the El Niño weather phenomenon, which is expected to be in effect in the region until the middle of next year.
“Mag-antos gyud ta sa kainit ug kakulang sa water supply kay less ang rainfall.” — PAG-ASA Visayas Director Oscar Tabada, according to The Freeman.
- The Freeman: Drier weather ahead
Other Cebu News Headlines
» 8 Cebu mayors get Seal of Good Local Governance award, P3M each
» Gov. Davide okay with Cebu City’s move to improve Fuente Osmeña
“Let’s stop talking about who owns it, it belongs to the people of Cebu, not the Province, not the City, it’s for everybody.” — Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III