Acting Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella says they will implement changes for this year’s Sinulog celebration to make it safer. The City will also form a Task Force Carousel to make sure the changes are implemented.
Among the changes this year are:
- No more tents and bleachers along carousel route.
- No more performances in “sexy outfits” on board the floats.
- No more throwing of any merchandise or goodies from the floats.
- Monitoring by DOH of food sold in stalls.
“Along the carousel route, only bleachers for the judges will be allowed. However, these can be set up on the other side of the road, or the portion that is not used by the dancers.”
Acting Mayor Edgar Labella
- Sun.Star Cebu: City Hall, Sinulog Foundation introduce more changes
Mandaue warns: Brace for traffic
Mandaue City Officials say traffic will be heavier than usual for the Traslacion–the traditional meeting of the images of the Holy Family–because of the new route. The traslacion usually took the Mabolo-Subangdaku route to Mandaue City but will now pass through the heavily congested AS Fortuna St. on Jan. 15.
“We were caught off guard (by the change.) But we can’t do anything but adjust.”
Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes
- Sun.Star Cebu: New Traslacion route surprises local officials
Other Sinulog stories:
- Sun.Star Cebu: Cebuanos profess lifelong devotion to Sto. Nino
- The Freeman: Organizers say 300,000 join opening walk for Sinulog
- Cebu Daily News: More than two years after 7.2 earthquake, bells at Basilica del Sto. Nino finally heard again
- Cebu Daily News: Crowd in procession is four times bigger than that of last year
Mayor Duterte visits Cebu
Presidential candidate and tough-talking Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte dropped by Cebu City yesterday, to meet with local supporters.
Duterte, whose visit coincided with the Sinulog, admitted he isn’t a religious person and doesn’t go to mass. He visited the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino later in the afternoon.
“Listen to my cuss words. I even invite you to look at me and relate those words to my character. Behind those words is the real agony and tragedy of the Filipino people.”
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte
- Cebu Daily News: Duterte asks voters: Judge me by my deeds, not my words
Other Cebu news headlines
» Sun.Star Cebu: Cebu City Hall tells UP to comply with requirements first before relocating families affected by fire
» Sun.Star Cebu: Although CCTV helped solve baby-theft in VSMCC, Provincial Health Office says cameras are not a priority
» Sun.Star Cebu: Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes asks public to help police secure IEC, other big events
» The Freeman: Acting Mayor Edgar Labella asks guidance from DBM to help solve conflict in 2016 budget
» The Freeman: Cops unconvinced of notorious pusher’s retirement; says ‘Jaguar’ still supplying drugs
» Cebu Daily News: Judge dismisses Castro’s P50-million libel complaint against sister-in-law PB Member Sanchez
» Cebu Daily News: ‘Stolen baby,’ parents go home, attend investigation of kidnapping suspects
Cebu Business News
» Sun.Star Cebu: Opascor urges DPWH to complement new ports with new road networks
“Barring any problems….we will have a new port by July 2019. However…without the opening of new road networks, the port will be useless.”
Opascor president Tomas Riveral
» Sun.Star Cebu: Balik Cebu to construct 30 bahay kubo in Camotes to boost grassroots tourism
“Equipping the community with the right tourism skill and culture will surely boost tourism in Pilar, Camotes, especially among individual travelers or backpackers. Like Boracay Island, which was a backpackers’ paradise in the past.”
Balik Cebu Committee chairperson Tetta Baad